Monday, July 2, 2012

Nothing Shines Like Chrome



Back in high school, I had a favorite nail polish. It was turquoise, metallic, and dried super fast--all my favorite things in a polish.

I wore it a lot back then, but then I got into art school, and if I wasn't covered in acrylic and oil from painting class, then I was stripping it off with the acetone in printmaking. And my nails looked like crap anyway thanks to sculpture.

During my post grad work, I wasn't allowed to wear nail polish--in equal parts because of the chemicals and also because my hands showed up in a lot of photos, and it was unprofessional to have brilliantly hued nails when the focus should be on 2,000 year old ceramic jars.

This week I pulled this favorite polish of retirement for the first time in six years. To be honest, I'd forgotten about it for a while, and then I got distracted by challenges. I wish I'd used it sooner, though, because my beloved Sally Hansen Chrome Nail Makeup in #13 Aquamarine Chrome is on it's last legs. It's starting to dry out and the formula that went on so easily and covered perfectly in 2 coats is now thick and clumpy, and barely goes on at all.

I guess it doesn't matter much, since the bottle is almost empty.
Here's a shot with a top coat. It doesn't make a huge amount of difference in the photos, but it turns it from a "dry" shine to a "wet" one, if that makes any sense.

Some people have their cremes, or jellies, or glitters that they go crazy for. But for me, it's always been about the foils.

When it comes to cars or nails, my favorite color is chrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment